Add or edit subsection:
|Section of||Disk Encryption|
- Last modified: 18 July 2014 20:59:07
- русская версия
TrueCrypt: Install on computer. Re-launch the package file and Extract the files to a USB stick to create a 'traveller disk'. Explain the difference between using an installed and portable version. Open the software folder and upload the necessary localisation.
Trainer's notes: Localisations depend on the Windows ability to handle the language locale. Both installations requires admin privileges on Windows.
Creating a volume
Follow the hands-on guides to create an encrypted volume. Explain the options for selecting the location to store the volume file. Explain obfuscation possibilities for the file extension (Truecrypt only). Mount and dismount the volume.
Trainer's notes: For ease of session, a 100 MB volume size is recommended. Don't get stuck on explaining algorithms and the random number generator. For Truecrypt, draw up a list of common large file extensions, e.g. .mp3, .mpeg, .avi, .iso and so on. Encourage people to use KeePass to create a strong password.
- Ask the participants to create a document and to save it inside the encrypted volume.
- Create a backup of the dismounted volume (file) on the USB memory disk.
- Change computers and ask participants to open the newly created document.
- Rename the Volume file. Change its extension.
- Create a new volume (any size)
- Rename the volume file
- Organise a competition where participants swap USB memory sticks and try to guess which file is the one containing the Truecrypt volume.
Trainer's notes: Make sure to explain the difference between the softwareand the volume file - you need one to access the other with. Emphasise that when dismounted, the file can easily be deleted.